“To be champion all you have to do is train. But first, one must be a good person. Be a friend at the Academy, learn to help. To be good at Jiu-Jitsu it’s all about believing and training, there isn’t that much else you can do.”
-Professor Rodolfo Vieira
It is totally okay! I remember my first time walking into a Martial Arts Academy. It can be scary and intimidating...not knowing what to expect. Am I going to be able to do this? Are they going to be nice? Am I going to get beat up? Will I fit in? How does it all work? Am I going to be accepted?
These are the questions I had before I ever walked in the door and I'm sure if you are considering coming into NMJJ, you might have a few of these questions as well!
I remember sitting in the parking lot in Lubbock, Tx on my first day thinking, "should I even go in?" I even had some support because my friend was training there and he is the one who invited me! And yet, I still had that weird knot in the pit of my stomach. I hate that feeling! And, every-time I have that feeling it reminds me that I'm experiencing being uncomfortable.
I once heard that being uncomfortable is a way to remind yourself that you are alive. If you are comfortable, then you are dead. You are probably not growing and expanding yourself. Growth takes something of yourself. To have a big life, you have to take on being a bigger person!
So, it makes me smile thinking back on it now. Little White Belt Dylan all 6'1 tall, 145 lbs, and 19 years old! A scrawny 19 year old with a loud mouth on him!
The moment I walked into my first gym, I saw all these "tough" guys fighting and sweating. A room full of "killers." I went through my first lesson and radically understood that I was apart of something bigger and that my perception was off. These weren't "killers," these were everyday people doing extraordinary things. They were a family coming to grow, learn, and expand themselves in new ways everyday. By the end of the first class I got my first taste at this thing they talked about, "The Jiu-Jitsu Lifestyle." I was hooked...I mean...I still am hooked!!
When you come to your first class at NMJJ, you already did the hard part, which is just showing up!
We will take care of you and I promise to give you the taste of the Jiu-Jitsu Lifestyle. I promise to give you the same thing I experienced years ago and it is my goal for you to start to see what is actually possible with Jiu-Jitsu in your life.
Are you ready yet?
So...let's do it. Fill out the form on this page and myself or one of my Staff members will get back to you. Be uncomfortable and take the action!
What's Going To Happen?
- You call or fill out a form online.
- We schedule you for an introductory lesson.
- You arrive out 15-20 minutes early to your first lesson wearing loose fitting clothing (workout clothes) and bring a friend if you want!
- We give you a tour of the NMJJ Academy, have you fill out a waiver, and get you into a Gi (Uniform).
- You begin to experience what it's like to be at the Academy and hang out with your Jiu-Jitsu Family.
- We go over the rules and get you on the mat.
- You bow in and your first class starts!
- We have you do a body-weight warm up with movements that are designed to have you be successful in your Martial Arts training.
- Your muscles get warm and your body loosens up.
- We teach you some moves and you partner with your friend you brought, another instructor, or a safe training partner designated by the Instructor.
- You practice at a safe pace to fully learn and feel the Jiu-Jitsu move.
- We answer any questions and do some spot-specific training where you can test the move you learned in class with a little bit of resistance.
- You break a sweat.
- We line up and bow out.
- Congratulations! You completed your first Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class! (Remember the date as we celebrate your Jiu-Jitsu Birthday!)
- We then sit with you to go over your goals, the schedule of class, and get you started as a member.
- Welcome to the NMJJ Team!